Friday, October 19, 2012

Halloweenie!

Just a few quick blarbs while I'm actively posting things on the internet!  I am THOROUGHLY enjoying reading my Dick Smith materials. I told myself I wanted to read through it and highlight notes, then go to the DVD, then probably the book again. It's been many a year since I 'studied' anything so I need my brain to be an active little sponge.  The course has made me beyond thrilled.  I am taking advantage of my surplus of products purchased. I've cracked out my airbrush machine, and made a promise to figure this damn thing out. I think I'm too impatient right now, and the coverage when compared to liquid foundations is polar opposite.. it's so light. I'm a person that tries to cover my freckles and I feel I have uneven skin. Maybe it's a perspective thing that I have to change. Originally the OCC airbrush products came with my airbrush purchase. These are water based, which I chose to go with over silicone just based off reading that silicone remains movable, and there's a prevalence in silicone allergies over.. water or alcohol.  I have been testing out alcohol based lately. If anyone has or knows someone with airbrushing experience that wouldn't mind me bugging them, pass a name along? When I applied the Skin Illustrator airbrush product- which is alcohol based- I did keep having to layer it up for coverage.. it's "ghastly" so it's an incredibly pale color which I'm pale but again covering freckles. Alcohol is very drying and to me that kind of showed. I'm trying to figure out the best way to prep skin. Tonight I used the Temptu Dura Inks and had MUCH better results. They are also alcohol based, but this time I remembered to put a moisturizer on a bit before, and used Illamasquas matte primer which is water based over silicone as far as I can tell.  These Dura Inks are the deal, I really enjoyed working with them. I still have to perfect airbrush use in general but I had much better results.  All of these things are ultimately for my work through the course- the Skin Illustrator brand has fantastic reviews when working on appliances and detail work. They have varying palettes which quite a few were made for movies Ve Neil has worked on. I will say their glazing gels are.. magic. I'll have to get in to that more when I do more with them. Anyway, I'm a pretty firm believer on "self experimenting". It's easiest for me to use my face to do things vs. wait on another person to have availability and using a product is the best way to gauge a performance. So the more things I do.. hopefully the more inspiration I'll have to update.

I have been on the ball with Halloween looks having such fantastic products in reach.  I've done a different look for the past 4 days, and knocked out about all my top listed want to attempt looks. There is a zombie walk Saturday so I think next up is trying to figure that out. I think I want to use an Audrey Hepburn inspired dress I purchased from Lady V London and a dark wig and go as "Breakfast IS Tiffany" zombie. It's between that and a red wig and go as "Lucielle Maul" (but Ricky...).  That will involve maybe some airbrush but definitely body paints (been taking advantage of some Wolfe FX paints as of late.. it's been a good experience!).  Anyway, enough blabbing. I'm very hopeful to have some good results with it- say prayers to the makeup Gods.  Here are a few Halloween looks I've done, with extra photos after the jump. Anyone that I don't personally know that subscribes to this blog feel free to facebook me here, and I really love feedback. I'm on Beautylish & Makeup Bee where I'm trying to get in on a contest, and just network more. Any awesome bloggers want to send some makeup folks my way, I love that too. I just really thrive off feedback and suggestions. These pictures have a general a filter just for artistic effect as a personal preference, and some were taken on a cell phone but no other editing was done. I like doing pictures on both my cell phone & my camera because the light translates different and sometimes it works.  I don't even know how to work photoshop, but it's a pet peeve when looking at makeup and someone has edited it so far the makeup or skin texture is gone.


 





 The devil's in the details. The white on the side of my nails is painted on not just lighting. I really wanted to do black at the edge but it would have ended a mess.

 The  bride.. this wasn't as good as I wanted it to be. This is where I used the skin illustrator airbrush color. The eyes are the a blend of the yellow bruise, red 3, and black & blue glazing gels. LOVE. I also wish I would have noticed the inaccuracy in the eyebrows.

 This is where the damaged doll makeup started but after a couple pictures I thought it looked too cosplay for my likings or intentions so I nervously went back in with body paint on the cracks. I've finally gotten the hang of using Illamasqua's Rich Liquid foundation. If you ever look up reviews it hasn't had the best. It's thick, & drying, but when I mixed it with the matte primer, I enjoyed the coverage and texture. I was nervous to paint over this though as any mistake would remove the foundation as well as the paint.

 

 Tonights look was just because it's easy, but iconic. I like to call it Clockwork red. Alex from Clockwork Orange.






No comments:

Post a Comment